Saturday, August 15, 2009

Check the Times...

Well my new-found commitment to working out every day is facing it's first challenge. 6:10 AM: I gulp down two cups of water and excitedly change into my gym clothes. 6:13 AM: I quietly sneak outside and drive the two blocks to my gym, after wiping copious amounts of condensation off the windshield (which in a matter of weeks will be frost). 6:14 AM: I arrive at the gym. It really is only 2 blocks away. I celebrate; I'm one of only two cars in the parking lot!!! I will have the gym to myself... but I quickly discover that's only if I break in. Which, although I am committed, I am not willing to go to jail for that commitment. Or work out in the dark - scary. I guess the gym opens at 7 on the weekends, and that's when Jason has to go to work, so I am up the proverbial creek without a treadmill. Luckily the gym is so close; it would have been a much bigger disappointment had it taken me 15 minutes to drive there versus 1. Why do I drive rather than walk you say? Well in a few short weeks it will be pitch dark/freezing cold... all the time. I am establishing a routine that I can put on autopilot. At five and six in the morning, autopilot will be a necessity. Now I will wait for Jason to finish his 20 minute job and try to go again. I am curious to see if there will be a lot of people once it's actually open.

Okay if you commute don't be a hater, but Jason's job (setting up asbestos monitoring pumps for a demo) is literally 30 seconds away. It is on our street. I can see it from our house - nothing political intended. =) The building that is getting demolished is the Captain Bartlett Inn. A couple guys from Seattle bought it and have unknown plans for the property... but I will share as soon as I find out.

Here's a question maybe one of you can answer for me: If I wear the free shirt the gym gives out does it make me a a dweeb? These and other meaningful conundrums seem to be foremost on my sleep-deprived brain. I don't feel presently equipped to solve these problems, but I do feel oddly giddy. (People like myself don't need controlled substances, just less than 6 hours of sleep will do just fine.) Signing off in hopes of a nap...Sheila

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about starting an auto pilot routine like this. It all started with me having a job where I sit on my butt all day, sewing a dress that is too small even though it's about 6 sizes bigger than what I usually wear, and me refusing to store winter warmth. Thanks for inviting me to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better luck next time sheila...I would write something more clever but joe and I are fighting over our one computer at a local Kaladi Brothers...I want to do online shopping and talk to people and Joe wants to know what Brett Farve is doing with his life (who cares!)....

    ReplyDelete
  3. M- No problem, you are welcome anytime... an update. I sorta hurt my foot and so am taking a couple days off. Jason: "you're limping so maybe you should take a break." Me: "Really??? Are you sure...I don't want to wuss out...ok, pass the cookies."
    R- Yeah, I feel good I went four times in a row, but when I go back I will try the eliptical instead of the treadmill due to the above-mentioned injury. I guess I will have to start writing about the NFL to get Joe as a reader. Oh my gosh I am bored already, so maybe not. =)

    ReplyDelete